When you give to United Way, your donation:
- Stays in London and Middlesex County
- Achieves impact because United Way is an expert in identifying community needs and responding with effective, lasting solutions
- Guarantees cost-efficiency because each donation is invested in programs that have the proven ability to change people’s lives
- Consolidates your charitable contributions while tackling the issues of our entire community
- Involves many in making our community stronger, healthier and more productive
- For companies, provides valuable recognition and demonstrates corporate citizenship by supporting the community where your
employees live and work
When you invest in United Way, you invest in a better community for all of us.
United Way is accountable
- United Way is the most effective and efficient way to invest in your community
- Our volunteers are leaders in business, government and labour, providing unparalleled expertise
- Funds are allocated by specially trained volunteers to programs that have the greatest impact
- United Way reviews financial updates every six months and requires annual audited statements from each funded agency
- United Way is audited annually by an independent accounting firm
There are several ways to donate. Choose the one that’s right for you.
To learn more about United Way revenue and investments, please see our annual report and financial statements.
It’s easy to give
Each year, private donors from London & Middlesex join together to strengthen the fabric of our community.
- You support breakfast programs in our schools
- You provide much-needed access to services for those who face mental health challenges
- You create a safe place for those fleeing violent homes
Your investment helps break the cycle of poverty. You create new opportunities and make London and Middlesex a place where everyone matters. You can create lasting change.
Your support changes lives.
Our commitment to you
Our donors are the foundation of United Way. Your generosity supports a vital network of programs and services that enable United Way to address the root causes of social issues and create lasting change in our community.
Our commitment to you is that we will continue to make every effort to ensure that your donation has maximum impact in people’s lives right here in London and Middlesex County.
We believe that in order to be effective, we must be efficient. As a direct result of leveraging volunteer efforts and significant in-kind corporate support, United Way is proud to report that our independently audited fundraising costs over the past three years average only 18% of net donations and grants. This is far lower than Canada Revenue Agency’s recommended guideline limit of 35%.
For more information view our Annual report and independently audited financial statements
United Way London & Middlesex is proud to be the first social service organization in our community to be granted Imagine Canada Standards Program accreditation. Designed to strengthen public confidence in the charitable and nonprofit sector, the Standards Program offers an independently assessed stamp of approval for organizations that demonstrate excellence and transparency in five key areas:
- Board governance;
- Financial accountability and transparency;
- Ethical fundraising;
- Staff management; and
- Volunteer involvement
United Way London & Middlesex is also pleased to report that we have been given the top rating, 4 Stars, by Charity Intelligence Canada. This is an unsolicited independent assessment and we are the only organization based in London and Middlesex County to have received a 4 star rating.
Charity Intelligence’s mission is to provide Canadian donors with information that helps them make informed and intelligent giving decisions to have the greatest impact. They accomplish this by doing a deep analysis into a charity’s transparency and accountability, need for funding, and operating efficiency.
Leadership Challenge Grant
In 2015, you helped United Way invest more than $1 million new dollars in our community!
In 2015, eleven United Way investors came together to challenge our community, to engage new donors and grow giving. Combined they contributed $500,000 as matched funds for new Leadership gifts and increases.
United Way extends our deepest gratitude to: Ken Kalopsis and Nancy Branscombe, Denis and Debbie Devos, Joyce Garnett, Steve Hemphill, John and Lynne Leitch, Larry G. Myny, Donald Speir, Clint Wilson and three donors who wish to remain anonymous.
Behind every contribution to United Way London & Middlesex, there is a personal, powerful commitment to create lasting change. Our Leadership Challenge Grant investors are community champions dedicated to building a stronger London and Middlesex County for everyone.
As a donor, you will receive a tax receipt from United Way for your gift of $20 or more. If you give by payroll deduction through your workplace,
your donation receipt will appear on your T4 slip from your employer.
Donors receive a tax credit of 21.06% (Ontario) on the first $200.00 of the total amount of donations made that year. The credit on any additional donations is 40.16%.
Quick tax facts
- Donors can receive a tax receipt for a gift-in-kind, which includes any tangible item, shares of publicly traded companies, real estate, life insurance or other capital property.
- Different credits are available for non-cash deductions; in some cases, the credit may be higher.
- Donations can be claimed for up to five years after the receipt is issued.
Learn more about gift of securities and planned giving.
If you have questions about tax incentives or charitable gifts receipt, please contact Suzanne Bembridge at 519-438-1723 ext. 234.
This information is general in nature and does not constitute legal or financial advice. It is not a substitute for professional advice; United Way encourages you to seek professional legal, estate planning and/or financial advice before deciding upon your course of action.